Interview Prep: Question time...it’s over to you
Following on from last month’s ‘Preparing for Success’ interview article, we discuss the questions you should be asking a potential employer.
It’s vital that you use your interview opportunity to gather as much information as you can about the company, its staff, the role you’re applying for, and the general office environment that you’ll be working in. Managing expectations from both sides is key to a harmonious working relationship.
It’s really important that you prepare a variety of questions to ask your potential employer at interview. Usually, the interviewer or interviewing panel will assign time at the end for this.
So, let’s take a look at the type of questions you should be asking. We recommend that you aim to have at least five questions prepared...
- Ask about a typical working day in the role and the types of responsibilities that will be expected of you. Only then will you have a thorough understanding of everything the role encompasses.
- Enquire about the appraisal system, incentive scheme, and any other processes that the company has adopted to keep you motivated and on-track to succeed in the role.
- In addition to the above, we’d also recommend enquiring about training opportunities and progression within the company.
- Ask about the culture within the company and the environment that you’ll be working in. This is also your opportunity to discuss working hours and the types of flexibility offered (if any).
- Last but by no means least, it’s important to ask your interviewer what they enjoy most about working for the company. Based on their response, you can learn a lot more about your potential new workplace and if it’s the correct fit for you.
By being fully prepared and asking the right type of questions, you’ll feel much more confident about the whole process. Remember; the interview is as much about them getting to know you as it is you getting to know them.
Here at Big Motoring World, we’re looking for new talent to join our ever-growing team across our sites in Kent, London and Peterborough. To find out more, please check out our vacancies page, by clicking here. We could have just the job for you!